I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another day, Another destiney










(Just F.Y.I. my the titles of my blogs hardly ever have anything to do with the actual post....)

Another day with clients. It's Saturday January 17th and I'm in Phase 2 Today.
My appointments were: 11:00 Haircut, 12:30 lunch, 1:00 cut and weave.

11:00: I cannot remember her name... so We will call her Sara. Hair down to her shoulder blades. She sits down and I ask her what she wants. She says just the split ends, maybe an inch. (I love this situation, people say split ends, then take off a millimeter when they have slit ends up about a foot) I told her that to really get all her split ends we would have to take of at least two. I showed her what two inches would look like and she said, alright.
She had some layers and I asked if she liked the way they were. She said maybe a little more layers. But she had to be able to put it in a pony tail.
Once we were in agreement and understanding of what she wanted I washed her hair and brought her back to the chair.
I found out that she is from Colorado and came to Provo to go to school. She just graduated from BYU with a degree in Home and Family Life. She wasn't sure what she was going to do with that and for awhile she was working as a receptionist somewhere in Orem.
(This was funny to me because I was just dissuading with Wesley the LL that there were a lot of people who went to college and were thousands of dollars in debt and came out with a degree they could do nothing with. Where as people who went into a trade, mechanic, technician, chef, cosmetologist had an instant guaranteed job where ever they went, something they could use)
Well, Sara asked my opinion a lot on what we were going. I don't really like this question because it all depends on what they like/want if I think it will be cute and they don't like it then they don't like it. If I think it would be cool, but they never blow dry it in a way that will achieve the results I want then it doesn't work. So we talked alot about what I was going to do.
We cut off about two inches, I added some more layers and blow dried it.
Then we moved onto the fringe (or "bangs") which we always cut dry. I asked if she wanted more fringe. I talked her into some cute side swoop fringe that would make her amazingly green eyes and beautiful cheek bones stand out.
This fringe wouldn't go back in a pony tale but looked cute when they fell out and across her ear. Then, we disscused her hair some more, she asked if all the split ends were gone. I told her that many of them were gone, but because of the shampoo she used, the way she blow dried and flat ironed her hair and because the air in Utah is so dry that her hair was dry and brittle and there was breakage all the way up.
She said that she once had short hair, up to her chin, she really liked it, but she also liked it long. She asked if I thought she should cut more off, go shorter. I again said that it depened on what she wanted, what she liked. And when cutting more than five inches off your hair you had to be sure about it. It either has to be a completely spur of the moment thing, or something you are completely sure you wanted. Not a wish-washy maybe I should maybe I shouldn't kind of thing.
She decided to take off three more inches. This would leave her hair a bit past shoulder length, still able to pull it back into a pony tail, but it would be a nice change. We talked about shape and layers and fringe and how it would accentuate her features.
I made sure she was sure. It was dry now but it was also 12:30 and I didn't want it to run into my other appointment. (I didn't care about missing lunch, but making my next guest wait would not be good) I cut it dry, before I cut the first bit I asked her once again if she was sure because once I cut I couldn't glue it back on. She looked a bit apprehensive but determined. She asked if she could still pull it back, if I thought it would look cute. i assured her yes to both questions. And she told me to go ahead.
I measured and snipped. (I am not the type of person to take the hair I just cut and show it to them, it just freaks them out and makes them nervous. Cutting the hair of someone who is nervous about what you are doing is not my idea of fun) I cut it all around and asked how she felt. She felt the length and said "Wow, it's short" she said this as an expression of fact, not a horrible realization. I added some more layers, blended the fringe and asked her how she liked it.
She looked really happy, said it felt a lot healthier.
I gave her my card and told her that if she decided in a day or two that she wanted to go shorter that she should request me. She gave this some thought and said that she just might come back. I sold her some product, and bit her farewell.
It was now 12:40 I had twenty minutes for lunch. I ran over to the gas station and used some of the $7 tip she gave me to buy a muffin and some hot chocolate (the gas station across the street from PMtS has the BEST hot chocolate you have ever tasted!!)

1 comment:

Kyle Hendricks said...

Well, thanks, now I'm craving Hot Chocolate!
=D