I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Things I'll Deal With

I belong (or soon will) to two different but similar industries: Beauty and Theatre

There is a lot in common in these two, for instance
Image is EVERYTHING. (It may be shallow but it's true)
*No one is going to want me to do their hair if my hair is gross/horrible and they are more likely to trust me (therefore pay the big bucks) if I have impeccable fashion sense.
*Similarly, a person such as I will never play the stereotypical female love interest, or the lead. I am fit to play a supporting maternal role. (Type-casting is alive and well today)

As much as we are told not to judge, it happens. Within the first three seconds of a new encounter, you are evaluated… even if it is just a glance. It is human nature to do so, in business and social environments. First Impressions mean everything in both the Beauty and Theatre industries, if a prospective client doesn't like the way I do my hair, or finds something offensive in my dress, demeanor or speech I have just lost not only their business but the business of all their friends. If in the theatre world you show up to an audition wearing holey jeans and greasy hair they are going to assume that you don't care enough to look nice.
Image means the world in both of my main pursuits in life. This is I spend 30 minutes on my make-up alone, dye and trim my hair at least every 4 weeks and spend far too much money on hair products and make-up.

Another similarity is;
People (stereotypes hold true more often than you might think)
(DISCLAIMER: The following sentiments are about people IN GENERAL, not everyone. There are good/kind/thoughtful people everywhere, people who defy the stereotype.)

Theatre People (in general): Self-absorbed and generally loathed group of people. Care only for drama and themselves Someone who wears all black, wears tons of make-up, and who drinks coffee (or alcohol) everyday. Back-stabbers and totally fake. They will be perfectly pleasant to your face but turn right around and talk about you in the worst possible way.

Hairdressers (again, only in general): Self-absorbed, worldly and materialistic. Obsessed with looking good, thinks they always look good (even when they DON'T.) The most notorious gossips. Known for their sometimes outrageous style. They will tell you what they think, to your face regardless of how blunt/tactless/heartless it is.

Both: People who think too much of themselves, are obsessed with image, back-stabbers, gossips.

Oh, and another stereotype which is upheld more so than the others is the type of men both industries attract.
When most people think of a gay man, the occupation they associate with them is either hairdresser or actor on the stage. I can say, having been in both places, that it is 100% true. Important: Not all male hairdressers are gay. Not all male actors (stage) are gay. I am simply saying that these two industries are ones that attract these guys.


I don't know if it will surprise you to learn that of these three things (image, mean people, lots of gay men) The only one I have any problem with is the backstabbing, gossips.

Image is something everyone deals with, I am comfortable enough with myself to feel good about myself. I like taking care of myself, I love wearing make-up and my crazy hair.

Gay men are some of my favorite people I know. (Again, in general) they are sincere, kind, sweet, loving people who mean what they say and say what they mean. All of my best friends are gay guys. It's like having a girlfriend and a guy friend in one.
When the girl in the hall compliments your purse or hair you have to think... "Does she really think so? What is she after? Maybe she is joking, or was dared to say so or is just messing with me..." and a million other things. But when your gay friend tells you you look cute today, or that belt makes you look amazing all you can think is "He's amazing, he means it, I love him!"
Girls are always comparing you to themselves and other girls around and with the ridiculous modles on TV and in magazines. Straight guys either don't notice, or don't know what they are talking about when they say "No, you don't look fat in that dress" or "I like that shirt." Or (a select few), are pigs and only notice too tight shirts, short shorts and plunging necklines.
Because of the nature of gay guys they aren't comparing themselves with you, and don't care for plunging necklines. BUT they know about fashion, what looks good and what you could change.

The thing I have issues with is girls. I hate girls, they are mean, spiteful, manipulative. They gossip about everything, spread malicious rumors just to see what will happen. If you tell something to someone in confidence it's very likely that by lunch time half the population will know.
(Today I told something to a friend, it was a bit gossipy and I probably shouldn't have but this friend had been gone for a week and I was catching her up on things such as who got married, who was pregnant, who quit school; that type of thing... But then she went around and asked someone if it was true, and pinning me as the source, that person told someone who told someone, ... then it turned into one of those she said that she heard it from her who told that girl who overheard it while washing her hands last Tuesday. It turns out that it wasn't true [even though I heard it from the source, the person it was about] and I will probably get grief tomorrow for either knowing it, believing it or telling it. OR this person may decide to be perfectly sweet to my face, then go and spread some ridiculous thing around. Something like, I started smoking pot, or am having an affair or that I'm somehow pregnant or something horrible like that. I thought, stupidly, that this friend I told wouldn't tell anyone else, or at least would keep my name out of it)
This is the type of drama that I try to keep myself out of. I tend not to hang out with many girls at school. (I go to school with 100 girls and around 9 guys) The guys don't gossip as much and are much more genuine.
GAH! I HATE GIRLS!

No comments: