I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Making Beauty My Business

Beacon is your opportunity to network with and learn from some of the most successful salon/spa owners in the industry. Learn what they are looking for in new talent and how to market yourself to potential employers. You'll sit side by side with famed stylists turned prosperous business owners during the Symposium general sessions. Then, you'll attend Beacon breakout sessions facilitated by these same salon superstars on topics such as interviewing, career choices, client base and being part of a team.

The relationships you develop and the education you gain at Beacon will shape your career take you to the top of the industry. Take advantage of this extraordinary opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of the industry you have chosen for your profession. Beacon began in 2001 and has had over 600 students participate in the program!

Beacon accepts just 100 cosmetology students each year. Beacon winners receive free tuition to PBA Symposium.

Beacon is produced by the Professional Beauty Association (PBA), a non-profit trade association.
Lead by industry volunteers, PBA represents the interests of the professional beauty industry from manufacturers and distributors to salons and spas. PBA started the Beacon program to help young salon/spa innovators gain an early understanding of the business side of the industry.

"[Beacon] was filled with great education, fabulous speakers, but most of all, amazing energy. It was amazing how I wished my whole school could have experienced those special days." - Nicole Kieslich, Beacon Winner 2006



Beacon Entry Checklist:

Step 1: Create a Professional Resume

A Professional resume is an important part of getting a job


Step 2: Create Portfolio Images

Submit three before and after shots (six images total), appropriate to the career path you would like to follow (hair, nails, skin, etc.). You may use mannequins or live models for this portion of the application process. This is an opportunity to show premier salon and spa owners from across the country what you can do!


Step 3: Create a Professional Marketing Piece

Here's your opportunity to let your creativity shine! We want you to create a piece to sell yourself as a future salon/spa professional. Think of this as a marketing piece you would show to your potential future clientele and employers. Use your creativity to create a promotional item about yourself, your skills and your goals in the industry! Examples of marketing pieces include: a website, brochure, billboard, 30-second commercial posted on YouTube…it's up to you!




I want to apply and go to Beacon this year. Applications are due March 2009, any student enrolled in Cosmetology school from September 2008-March 1st 2009 is eligible. I will graduate a month after the enrollment deadline, which means that I can go!
I am confident in my practical/technical skills as a hairstylist... the part I'm a bit apprehensive about still is the business aspect of it all. Finding a job, keeping a job, retaining clients, that type of thing. Going to Beacon will help me with this.

I'm thinking that I want to create a website for the third step of the application. A type of on-line business card. I'm just not sure what the best free web hosting site is...

No comments: