I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I has a story for yous

So, today was Thursday. The last day of the week where I have 13 hours of school. (which isn't as bad as it sounds, being there that long. Because as much as I may complain about school I really do love hair)

So, at around 1:30 I got a male haircut. His name was scott and he didn't talk the entire time. (I'm a shy person, and don't mind the silence. so if there is going to be conversation they have to start it. I'll talk as much as they want as long as they initiate the conversation)
He told me how he wanted his hair, answered questions about how I was cutting it but other than that there was no comunication between the two of us. He kind of stared off into space the whole time. While I was shampooing him and giving him his head massage he closed his eyes and looked like he was in nirvana. Odd person. Tipped me $2

Then, at night school around 5:30 I got a female cut. Girl of about 12, asian-type hair, down the the middle of her back.
When she left it was to her chin, you could see her neck. He mom came and told me what to do. I was a little bit hesitant to cut off so much because losing that much length can be a traumatic experience which is either very good or very very bad. I did a combination cut (square grad with triangle and square layers) which means nothing to you, but it was a cute short bob. Because her hair is so thick I spend about half an hour just thinning it out.
We also didn't talk. It was a little bit awkward because her mom was sitting there watching the whole time, not in an intimidating don't-mess-up-my-daughters-hair type of way, but more of a motherly kind way... but it made it awkward so I didn't start a conversation (I don't mind starting conversations with people younger than me, because I am automatically cooler than them because I'm older and therefore don't care if they judge me) Tipped me $3

THEN. I cleaned up and saw that my favorite Cam friend was still working on the perm he had started at 1:00 that afternoon. By this time it was around 8:45pm. Cam is a perfectionist and does everything very slow. The things he does are amazing, he just needs to work on his speed (though, he has missed a lot of school for one reason or another so I have about three months experience on him.)
I asked him if he wanted help (I personally don't like getting help when I'm doing things like highlights or perms because I'm OCD and want to make sure that it is all done the same way, and I find that when I do things by my self I feel better about them, and if they ever don't turn out it is my fault and my fault alone. I can't help blaming "helpers" when they do help, or judging the way they do it. It may sound ubber prideful but I find that I'm naturally better at many things than most people, but when I dont' know I will ask for help)
Cam was very happy to have some help he trusted. There had been various different hands rolling rods thoughtful the day, some were helpful some actually slowed the process. I decided that 6 hours was too long to spend rolling a perm so I helped Cam roll. (I went quicker than him, and speed up the process significantly) I helped him fix his tension and elevation (technical terms for how well and tightly the rods are wrapped) I helped apply the perm solution, reminded him of all the steps and timing. We wrapped, processed, finished and styled that perm by the time 11:00 rolled around (night school gets out at 10 so we were there an extra hour, but I didn't care because hey, an hour closer to graduation, and I would do anything to help my Cam friend)
If you ever need a confidence boost, Cam is the perfect person for the job. He makes me feel loved, wanted, needed and appreciated.


Today made me realize not only that I like, no love doing hair and that I could be happy doing it for the rest of my life (especially if I get paid for doing it) But I'm good at it. I know what I'm doing.
In class we went over a lot of things that I thought everyone knew, but when we reached the end of class the "what did you learn today" section everyone had lots of things to say. It wasn't a bad class, but I knew everything that was touched upon.
I understand the physics and workings of cutting/styling/perming hair.
I am good at what I do.
I am fast and effective.
My guests always leave happy with their service and end result.
After over 12 months of school I have learned a lot.

I am a hairdresser, and I'm proud to be such.

No comments: