I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Sunday, January 18, 2009

A day in the life of...

So, I heard the other day that there is a new best selling book in the UK, it was written by a bagger at a small grocery store. The book contains tales of the interesting people she meet while bagging their groceries and her reflections on them.

I think that I need to write such a book, because I have a lot of interesting people who sit in my chair.
For example:


Friday, January 16th

It was a normal day, color class in the morning. It was a good class, we looked through magazines and made cologes of different blondes, reds and brunets to help understand what our color clients want in their hair color.
Then I went to lunch and started making a donation jar for an even later that night. A girl comes into the lunch room holding a service ticket. "176!" she yells out. I get the ticket, a haircut.
The name on the ticket looked either like Jenny, Henny or Henry.
I grabbed all my stuff, set up my station and went to the front to meet Jenny/Henny/Henry.

Henry, a cute high senior, 17 (but almost 18 he stressed.) He sat down in my chair and when I asked him what he wanted he said simply, "I want a faux hawk." We discussed the different types of faux hawks, angle and length and texture and dramatic-ness and direction. Once we were in understanding of what he wanted I took him back to the sinks to wash his hair.
Usually during the wash I don't talk, it's a relaxing massage so I don't start conversations. But he was pretty chatty. He asked a lot of questions about me, my school, my life.
We went back the the chair and I started the cut. I tried to steer the conversation back on him, because really everyone likes talking about themselves more than listening to other people talk about themselves.
I found out that he is in high school, will attend BYU in the fall and wants to be a cardiac physician. He is an only child, a recent convert to the church and hasn't lived in Provo very long.
He asked where I was from, how many sibling I had, when I would be done with school, where I would go and what I would do when I graduated.
Then, in natural rhythm of the conversation he asked if I had a boyfriend. I was a little bit cautious with this question because I didn't know if he was just making conversation, or coming on to me, or taking it some where. I told him that I didn't, boys were silly and I wasn't interested, besides in doing hair and theatre you don't get many straight guy opportunities. He laughed at this. Then there was a beat or two of silence, I got the hint thinking "Right, it's my turn to ask the question..."
"So, do you have a girlfriend?" I proceeded cautiously.
This was just the right question.
He said, "I think so, but I'm not quite sure"
"Ah, one of those type things, I know how that goes."
"See, she asked me the other day if I had heard of the bon fire in the canyon and that we should go. We decided on 5:30. But she never called, so I called her twice but never got a hold of her. I didn't leave a message. I really like her, and her friend told me that she likes me, and it's her best friend so she would know... but I don't know if she was telling the truth or what?"
"Well, telling your friends crush that you like them with out permission is against the girl code"
He looked a little bit worried that there was a code he hadn't hear of.
"Well, I guess I really like her, but I don't know if I should call her back or not... she hasn't called me since."
I asked "When did you plan this? When was the bonfire? When did you call her"
"Planned on Monday. Bonfire was Wednesday... I called her Wednesday"
"Did you ask her about it at school?"
"No, I didn't know what to say... and I don't see her that often."

I explained to him that girls are dumb (Not that guys aren't dumb) but girls are dumb. Especially in high school, no one knows what they want. I told him that if he didn't know what she was thinking there was a good chance that she didn't even know, but she couldn't let on that she is confused so she would blame him for not understanding. Girls are confusing, even to themselves.
I didn't know if he was just venting or if he really wanted advice so I moved the subject a little bit by expressing my happiness of being out of high school and the silly things that go on there. He agreed and said that he was getting tired of it to, but he only had a few months left.
Then there was another few beats of silence. He then said "So....What do you think I should do? Should I call her again, leave a message? I mean, I think she likes me, and I like her but I don't know..."
"This is last weekend right? And you called her a few days ago?"
"Yea..."
"I think, that you should wait until Monday and see her at school, don't ask her about why she didn't call you but ask if she ending up going, if she had a good time. Gage her reaction, see if she acts normal around you. And go from there. You don't want to sound desperate because girls don't like that. But also, 'playing hard to get' doesn't work either. You have to seem interested but not TOO interested."
He gave me a strange look, "Confusing I know, once again girls are dumb."
At this point I had stopped cutting his hair momentarily and was no longer looked at him through the mirror but had turned and was talking face to face. He said he would wait until Monday to talk to her, but clearly didn't understand much of my other thoughts.

I texturised his hair, took care it was all even, asked him how he liked it once he was please I went to get my LL to check it off.

Henry said that he was thinking of going blonde, like white blonde. I told him that it would be possible, not in one day, but possible. I gave him my card and told him that if he wanted to come back for anything he should request me.

He tipped me $4. The usual tip for an $8 haircut is $2 so I was quite pleased.


But how ADORABLE, a highschool kid comming and asking me advice with he girl troubles!! He said that is usual hairsylist was a guy in Orem.... so he came to the school specifically to talk to a girl!
SO CUTE!

No comments: