I created this blog to keep the people I love up to date on my life. I will try to update it weekly! If that doesn't happen remember that I am busy and will do the best I can!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Christmas 2009

So, I will now tell you about my Christmas...
For Christmas my parents got me plane tickets home and back. My flight home was from Salt Lake to Portland to Spokane on Monday the 22nd, the Monday before Christmas.
[So a few days before I left Lauri and I went to our Daddy Martin's house to see his Christmas lights (he has the biggest house display this side of the Mississippi and this side of the Rocky's, synchronized to music and such) While we were there he had me open my presents as I would be in Washington on actual Christmas. (I got a lots of movies, a pretty necklace, a heat/ice pack with my name on it which is the perfect thing for when my kidneys start hating me and a fan for my silly overheating computer.) Also while we were there my little sister Kelly entertained us, I haven't laughed that hard for a while, hehe!]
So, my flight was at 2:30. The weather was gross (and still is) so Lauri and I left at 11 to be sure I would get there in plenty of time. It usually takes about an hour to get to the airport from Provo... we got there around one. The roads were horrible, they couldn't plow them fast enough because of how heavy it was snowing. There was one point when we were passing a diesel, and it's front tires threw snow up on our windshield and for an entire three seconds we couldn't see out of it at all, and three seconds when you are going 55 miles an hour is forever.
So, we finally got to the airport and I take my baggage up to check it. I stood at the little desk thing and the lady told me not to get my hopes up about leaving because of a huge storm in Portland, and one in Spokane. I checked my bags anyway, just in case. I started panicking at this point that I wouldn't get home. (The biggest reason I wanted to go home was to see Jeremy, I had been counting down to seeing him for over a month.)
I went through security, and the person who checked my boarding pass make a "I'm sorry" face when she saw where I was going.
I walked to my gate, on the com pleat other side of the airport of course, carrying awkward bags. By my gate there was way too many people. Apparently there were three flights canceled in the past week from SLC to Portland and there were loads of people waiting on standby. I called my mom in a panic and asked her to look at the weather in Portland and Spokane. Everything looked fine so said the weather man. The lady at the desk near my gate went over the intercom and said that there hadn't been a flight in and out of Portland in three days, but they were doing everything they could to get us there.
I sat at the gate for an hour longer than planned.
Finally after what seemed like forever the same voice came over the intercom and said that they were now boarding the plane, we were going to Portland. There were actually people who stood up and cheered. We got in lines and filed onto the plane. I walked down the isle past many families with little children and people with big hair (big hair is a trademark of Utah) I got to my seat about half way back and sat between two girls who looked around my age. I put my carry on above my seat and started chatting with the two girls. Both of them had tried to fly to Portland before but their flights were canceled.
The ominous voice of the captain came over the intercom, we hadn't started moving yet... The voice told us that after doing everything we could we're sorry but this flight has been canceled.

I immediately called Jeremy. By the time he came to the phone I was well beyond a few tears. I told him that "my flight was canceled and that I wouldn't be coming home tonight, I don't know when I'm going to see you, I was sitting in the plan and they canceled it, I don't know what I'm supposed to do now, I don't know where my luggage is or how I'm supposed to get home and see you or where I'm supposed to go or how I'm expected to come home." He calmed me down, told me to call my mother, talk to the people in charge, find my baggage. That I would get home eventually and we would see each other soon.
I did as he said, called my mom and she called the airport ticket people to reschedule.The next available flight was not until Thursday... the 25th... CHRISTMAS DAY!
I went to my Daddy Martin's (biological father) house, I had Christmas Eve with the Slacks (The part that made me cheer up a TINY bit was that I got to see my Grandma Slack there, who I hardly ever see.) I didn't open presents in the morning because I had opened them the week before.
I went to the airport, checked my baggage, went through security and walked the long way all the way to the same gate as before. I sat and waited, there were hardly anyone in the entire airport, even less at my gate.
My plane boarded an hour late, but the flight only took an hour and 15 minutes when it usually takes two hours.
So, pretty much my Christmas sucked royally. But life goes on I suppose.

1 comment:

Kyle Hendricks said...

Just so that you don't wig out(no pun intended), this is your cousin, Jordan on the Jarman side of the family. =D